Chris Eubank Snr claims he's pulled son out of Conor Benn bout – ‘his life cannot be put in danger’

Chris Eubank Snr has claimed that he has pulled his son out of his upcoming fight against Conor Benn on October 8 at the O2 Arena.

It was a fight no one expected to happen due to the differences in weight, but a catchweight bout was finally thrashed out.

A 157lb catchweight was agreed with Eubank Jr's natural weight being at 160lb as a middleweight. Benn meanwhile is a welterweight who competes at the 147lb limit.

Eubank Snr's comments come after his younger son, Sebastian Eubank (29), passed away last year.

The legend has suggested that junior will not fight below 160lbs "on his watch":

"If you have a child and someone's trying to actually take that child away from you, and do something wrong to that child, as a dad you wouldn't let them. That's all I'm doing," Eubank Snr told The Daily Mail.

"I've given him my direction. If he doesn't want to follow it, he will be dragged along. But he will do what is right for him… he is coming down 1oz below 160lbs which cannot happen on my watch."

Eubank Snr added: "This is modern day 'gladiating', this is not a play thing for the audience. We have to be strict otherwise lives are put in danger and my son's life cannot be put in danger. I've already lost one. It can't happen again."

The Daily Mail state that these quotes came during a chat over zoom. Eubank Snr later told Conor Benn that he needs to "protect" his son in the ring:

"If your dad won't protect my son, if they won't allow me to protect my son, you protect him."

Nigel Benn then said: "So you're putting your foot down, saying to your son, at 32 years old: this fight is not happening."

To which, Eubank responded: "Absolutely."

The proposed fight comes just under 30 years after Chris Eubank Snr and Nigel Benn's rematch at Old Trafford in 1993.

If the fight is called off, it would be a huge blow as it is one of the most anticipated all-British fights in recent memory.

Further comments are yet to surface from the fighters or promoters Eddie Hearn/Kalle Sauerland.

Eubank Jr has previously stated that he wants his father in his corner for the fight, with Nigel Benn set to be ringside in support of his son.

The 32-year-old has been on the wind-up in recent weeks, insisting that he is taking Benn lightly.

His father is known to be a unique individual, so this could be his way to promote the fight in a roundabout way.

It is hard to foresee the bout being called off as a result of these comments. A contract has been signed with the 157lb catchweight settled on by both teams.

Eubank Jr was pictured eating KFC at the KSI fight on August 27, so pulling out over a weight issue would be a bad look. But again, this is likely more mind games and promotion from his side.

Latest news