• Home
  • Tennis
  • Cameron Norrie Admits Lingering Wrist Injury A Cause Of Concern Ahead Of Australian Open

Cameron Norrie admits lingering wrist injury a cause of concern ahead of Australian Open

Cameron Norrie admits he is worried about the wrist injury he sustained in the build-up to the Australian Open.

The British number one was forced to pull out of his quarter-final at the ASB Classic in Auckland, the city where he grew up, on Thursday after feeling pain in his left wrist following a second-round victory over Luca Van Assche.

Norrie is due to play his first match at Melbourne Park on Tuesday against Peruvian Juan Pablo Varillas, and he said: "There was not a particular moment where I felt something happen or anything.

"The next day I was a bit sore, wasn't able to play, obviously. I did a scan. It didn't show anything too much. So I'm here and it's feeling a bit better.

"I couldn't play Auckland, so I'm obviously concerned. But we're managing it with my team. It was better today, which is positive. Luckily I'm scheduled to play on Tuesday, so I have a few more days. I'm looking forward to practice tomorrow."

The injury is badly timed for 19th seed Norrie, who struggled during the second half of last season and admitted he felt a little burned out.

He was rejuvenated after a strong pre-season, where he worked with new coach Stephen Huss, and claimed an excellent win to start 2024 against in-form Alex De Minaur at the United Cup.

Australian Huss will work alongside Norrie's main coach Facundo Lagones, with the focus being on training weeks, and Norrie said: "He was so good, such a good influence on everyone in the team.

"He speaks really clearly on what he wants to see and what his ideas are, which I liked. He came in with some really good ideas. Great fit for the team. It was an unbelievable two weeks with him there.

"Great for Facu as well. Facu learnt a lot. I think it was exactly what we needed to talk about a bit more, tactics. I really liked him. There was no ego involved. He came in and he was really excited. He was loving the sessions and the quality we were bringing.

"I'm just pumped to be back on the court playing, competing the way I was there in the United Cup and the match in Auckland. I just want to keep evolving, keep getting better. A lot to learn from last year, but I want to look forward."

There are also question marks over the fitness of British number two Dan Evans.

The 33-year-old played his first tournament this week in Adelaide after suffering a calf injury in October but admits he is still short of where he needs to be.

"The amount of people who say it's an old person's injury, pulling a calf, is astonishing," said Evans with a wry smile.

"I had to be really cautious with it because all the doctors and physios said to do it again is not what you want. It was my tendon, as well, which is pretty important. My leg is fully fit. Obviously, you have to work the rest up."

Evans will take on Italian Lorenzo Sonego in his first match, while second seed Carlos Alcaraz is likely to be waiting should he win that.

"Definitely I can win my first round," said Evans. "It's how my body holds up and how it will recover. It was sore last week. I just haven't had as much practice and training as I would really like.

"But you can have as much practice as you like, if you're playing Alcaraz, it doesn't mean you're going to win anyway."

READ MORE: The 2024 tennis calendar: Every tournament, dates and results

More Articles