• Home
  • Other Sports
  • Super League: Abbas Miski Bags Hat Trick As Wigan Warriors Thump Leigh Leopards

Super League: Abbas Miski bags hat-trick as Wigan Warriors thump Leigh Leopards

Wigan Warriors put on a dominant display over Challenge Cup finalists Leigh Leopards.

Abbas Miski ran in a second-half hat-trick as Wigan bounced back from their Challenge Cup semi-final heartbreak with a dominant 44-18 Betfred Super League win over Leigh. 

The Warriors, beaten 11-10 by Hull KR last weekend, led 16-6 after a closely-contested first half before seizing complete control after the break.
The Leopards took the lead after 12 minutes, with Tom Amone stepping his way over, but Wigan hit back through Bevan French to level five minutes later.
There was not a lot between the two teams and they looked on course to go in at half-time all square, but Wigan had other ideas, with Toby King getting a fortunate try before French grabbed his second.
Wigan then dominated after the break, scoring five more tries.
Miski helped himself to a hat-trick, including an 80-metre interception, while Tyler Dupree grabbed a debut try and Liam Marshall also went over in a convincing performance.
Leigh scored the first points of the game in the 12th minute with a try from nothing.
Prop Amone produced a change of pace to force his way over, Ben Reynolds converting.
Wigan's response came against the run of play.
Liam Farrell was put through a gap by Harry Smith and he sent Jai Field clear before the full-back turned the ball back inside for French to race under the posts. Smith added the conversion.
Wigan were careless with ball in hand as they handed over possession a couple of times due to unnecessary offloads in their own half.
Oliver Holmes was held up close to the line, as was Joe Mellor, but it looked like Wigan had escaped when Marshall picked up a loose ball and Jake Wardle raced 60 metres to score.
However, video referee Chris Kendall ruled Marshall had touched Tom Briscoe without the ball.
French was everywhere for the Warriors, chasing his own kick to tackle Gareth O'Brien in goal for a drop out, from where Wigan hit the front just before the break.
The ball went wide to Miski and the winger put in an ugly kick that rebounded off a few legs into the arms of King and the centre touched down.
The Warriors struck again straight away, finding space on the right with Miski, whose kick this time was a good one and French was on hand to score. Smith converted for a 16-6 lead at half-time.
Wigan should have been out of sight at the start of the second half as Field ran across pitch and offloaded to Kai Pearce-Paul, who gave it to King.
But the centre's pass to Miski was poor and the ball sailed into touch.
Wigan did extend their lead moments later, with Dupree capping off a superb debut with an individual try.
He took the ball in before bursting through a flat-footed Leigh defence to score under the posts. Smith added the conversion.
Wigan were flying and they scored their fifth try of the afternoon when Miski intercepted and raced 80 metres to beat Zak Hardaker to the line. Smith again added the extras.
Miski grabbed his second with a fine finish in the corner.
At first glance the winger appeared to have gone into touch, but replays showed he kept his legs in play to get the ball down.
A ridiculous flick pass from behind his back from French then the ball reach Marshall and the winger stepped back inside and went over unopposed. Smith's goal made it 38-6.
Leigh managed to find some possession and salvaged some pride as Briscoe finished off a passing move in the corner, Reynolds converting.
But Wigan's eighth try came from another interception as Miski again plucked the ball out of the air and raced away for his hat-trick.
Leigh finished the scoring through Robbie Mulhern, but it could not disguise Wigan's dominance.
READ MORE: Challenge Cup final tips: Leigh Leopards early favourites to claim Wembley glory over Hull KR

More Articles