Price calls for world championship postponement as Chisnall joins Van Gerwen in positive COVID test

Another high-profile coronoavirus exit threatens the integrity of the competition but PDC ploughs on with the remaining fourth-round matches.

Reigning champion Gerwyn Price says the PDC World Darts Championship should be postponed following a coronavirus outbreak at the event.

With the competition still reeling from the withdrawal of three-time world champion Michael van Gerwen, it suffered a further blow on Wednesday when Dave Chisnall tested positive.

The Englishman and world No. 14 is the third player to exit the competition prematurely this week, following in the footsteps of Van Gerwen and fellow Dutchman Vincent van der Voort.

World champion Price wrote on his Instagram Story: "Tournament needs to be postponed". Price had previously said the tournament had been "devalued" by COVID withdrawals.

Welshman Price, the world No. 1, is due to play Dirk van Duijvenbode in a fourth-round match on Wednesday evening.

Chisnall was due to play Luke Humphries in the last 32 on Wednesday, with Humphries now receiving a bye.

Gerwyn Price pumped up Nov21 vs James Wade

A statement from the PDC read: "Dave Chisnall has withdrawn from the William Hill World Darts Championship after testing positive for Covid-19 ahead of his match with Luke Humphries.

"Humphries will receive a bye to the last 16 and Wednesday afternoon's session will continue with two matches."

"Jose de Sousa will play Alan Soutar, and Nathan Aspinall then plays Callan Rydz."

Chisnall's withdrawal is another blow for the integrity of the showpiece tournament.

Raymond Van Barneveld had tested positive after beginning to feel unwell in the wake of his 3-1 defeat by Rob Cross on Thursday night. Van Der Voort was then forced to pull out ahead of his scheduled match against James Wade on Monday.

Van Gerwen, who revealed his positive test on Tuesday, described himself as being "sour" at his withdrawal and called on the PDC to do more.

"They actually have to check everyone at the door every day - they didn't do that," the Dutchman told AD Sportwereld.

"According to the British Government, this is not necessary, but to protect your own organisation and the World Championship, that would have been useful.

"The PDC will at all times say that they have followed the rules of the Government, but they could have been looked at more closely.

"The control has not been strong enough. It is just a big corona bomb now.

"It is as leaky as a basket. Now I pay a high price. I haven't done anything at all - that makes it extra sour."

READ MORE: Michael van Gerwen hits out at PDC after testing positive for COVID-19

Latest news