• Home
  • Motorsport
  • Christian Horner vows to stay as Red Bull team principal amidst allegations

Christian Horner vows to stay as Red Bull team principal amidst allegations

A defiant Christian Horner said he will not be forced out of Red Bull – and vowed to be in his post as team principal for the first Formula One race of the season.

Horner broke his silence on Thursday after an investigation was launched into an allegation of "inappropriate behaviour" against him by a female colleague.

The 50-year-old, speaking at Red Bull's car launch in Milton Keynes, revealed he had been "overwhelmed" by messages of goodwill from within the sport, and said his wife, former Spice Girls singer Geri Halliwell, has been "very supportive".

He also continued to emphatically deny the allegations made against him.

Asked if he will be in Bahrain for the first round of Max Verstappen's championship defence on March 2, Horner replied: "Yes. I will be in Bahrain.

"The process has been going on in the background. Obviously, there's been a day job to be getting on with, which is gearing up for the season ahead of us.

"I have a hugely supportive family, a very supportive wife. I have felt the support from within the business and our partners, and the support from within the industry has been overwhelming, too.

"I am confident in the process, which I have fully complied with and will continue to do so, and absolutely deny any of the allegations that have been made against me.

"For me, it is business as normal. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here."

Direct questions relating to the internal investigation launched by Red Bull Racing's parent company Red Bull GmBH – which leaves Horner's career in the balance – were strictly off-limits.

Horner has been in charge of the F1 team for two decades, but he insisted the investigation has not forced him to ponder resigning.

"Not at all, absolutely not," said Horner when asked if he had considered his role as team principal and chief executive of the racing team.

"I am fully committed. I built this team. I convinced people to come and work here.

"I've been here since the beginning. There have been highs and lows along the way. We have won 113 races. We have won seven drivers' world championships. We've won six constructors' world championships in 19 seasons, and that's in the history books.

"But it's about what lies ahead, because that's what's important. So my focus is on the future."

There had been a strong desire for Horner's future to be concluded before Thursday's presentation which marked the 20th anniversary of Red Bull's involvement as a constructor in the sport.

Horner, who was quizzed by a lawyer for eight hours last Friday, said he did not know when the probe will be concluded.

There will be three days of testing, starting next Wednesday, in Bahrain ahead of the first race, also in the Gulf kingdom. And sources have indicated Horner could face further rounds of questioning as he bids to prove his innocence.

The investigation against Horner has undoubtedly overshadowed the world champions' preparations for the forthcoming campaign.

Last year, Red Bull won all but one of the 22 races, with Verstappen taking his third world title in as many years.

But the Dutch driver, 26, said: "I don't feel it (the investigation) has been a distraction.

"Everyone is very focused and very motivated. The spirit in the team has been fantastic. It's been honestly better than ever."

Pressed on his relationship with Horner, the triple world champion added: "It is very good.

"We've seen each other quite a few times. We've achieved a lot of things together so that doesn't change suddenly.

"My contact with Christian has been the same as on the first day. It's been like normal."

Read More: Helmut Marko addresses investigation clouding Christian Horner's Red Bull future (planetsport.com)

More Articles