'My body needs more time to get stronger', Tiger Woods pulls out of upcoming US Open

Tiger Woods informed his fans on Tuesday afternoon that he's unable to compete in next week's US Open, with the 15-time major winner still recovering from injury.

Tiger Woods completed a remarkable comeback to golf back in April, when the 46-year-old took part in the Masters, 14 months after his tragic car accident.

Woods then attempted to compete in the US PGA Championship in May, but completed just three rounds before having to withdraw due to uncomfort.

Many hoped the legendary golfer would be fit and prepared in time for this month's US Open, but Woods took to social media on Tuesday afternoon to confirm that he'll be missing the tournament.

"I previously informed the USGA that I will not be competing in the US Open as my body needs more time to get stronger for major championship golf," Woods said on Twitter.

"I do hope and plan to be ready to play in Ireland at JP McManus Pro-AM and at The Open next month. I'm excited to get back out there soon!"

Having sustained serious injuries to his right leg following the crash, Woods was seen in major discomfort and pain as he tried to navigate Southern Hills last month.

It clearly impacted his play too, with Woods recording his worst ever score in the US PGA with his three rounds reading 74, 69, 79.

Speaking after his remarkable return to top-flight action in the Masters in April, Woods had made it clear how keen he was to compete in the 150th Open Championship over the Old Course at St Andrews, scene of two of his three Open victories.

"I am looking forward to St Andrews," he said in April. "That is something that is near and dear to my heart.

"I've won two Opens there, it's the home of golf, it's my favourite golf course in the world. I will be there for that one."

With The Open scheduled to start on July 14, Woods has just over a month to recover and prepare.

READ MORE: Dustin Johnson set to relinquish Ryder Cup for LIV Golf Invitational Series

Latest news