England have not played in Pakistan since 2005, largely due to security concerns, and pulled out of a planned trip last year at short notice.
That drew an angry reaction from the Pakistan Cricket Board and placed even greater importance on the seven-match series that is due to take place between September 20 and October 2.
Games are due to be held in Karachi and Lahore, with no changes currently planned despite the worst floods in Pakistani history, which have left a death toll of 1,200 and rising and a third of the country under water.
Rob Key, managing director of men's cricket at the ECB, said: "It's a moving picture at the moment, there's been a hell of a lot of communication between people out there and the ECB, the PCA (Professional Cricketers' Association).
"But it's a trip we're desperate to go on and it's going to take a lot for us not to get out there. I think hopefully us going out there and playing will be a positive for what's been a pretty harrowing time for the people of that country. I'm really looking forward to getting out there."
Key appeared less certain about January's three-match one-day tour of South Africa. It has been reported that those games, rearranged after a Covid-related postponement in 2021, could fall victim to a revamped T20 tournament in the country if it is decided that the big-money venture should take priority over bilateral commitments.
"At this point in time, yes we do (plan to go)," he said. "It's up to South Africa if they want to do anything different.
"If those fixtures are going on, we're going out there. It's up to them to decide whether they're doing them or not. There's no indication at this stage they won't go ahead."