Tyson Fury cleared for UK return after 'testing negative'

Tyson Fury originally returned a positive COVID-19 test last week, which saw his fight with Deontay Wilder postponed.

Tyson Fury has tested negative for COVID-19 and has been cleared to return to the UK after contracting the virus last week.

Fury's trilogy battle with Deontay Wilder had to be postponed after Fury and a number of his camp tested positive for the coronavirus.

The official postponement of the bout only arrived on Thursday.

But last week Planet Sport were informed Fury had contracted the virus and the fight would be delayed.

That delay on the official announcement was understood to allow Top Rank and Premier Boxing Champions to reveal the new, rearranged date simultaneously.

The Brit's world heavyweight title defence against Wilder will now take place on October 9 at the same venue, The T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

"I'm glad that we could all agree a new date quickly for Tyson to defend his title," Frank Warren, Fury's co-promoter said. "Tyson is a fighting man and I know how frustrated he is that he can't compete this month. It's such a shame to lose a fight of this magnitude to Covid."

Dan Rafael has reported that Fury, 32, has now been cleared medically to fight Wilder.

Rafael told his Fight Freaks Unite website the 'Gypsy King' "had mild symptoms for a few days" but he is now available to fly home to England after "testing negative". 

html) */?>

Fury was deep in fight camp at his new home in Henderson, Las Vegas and at the start of the month claimed he was leaving "no stone unturned".

He will return to Las Vegas later in the year to start his preparations again for the fight.

All Tickets purchased for July 24 will be valid for the rescheduled date.

The bout will also still headline a joint ESPN/Fox Sports pay-per-view event.

October 9 undercard

Rafael also reports the three undercard bouts, all in the heavyweight division, that were announced for the July 24 are expected to appear on the new bill - Efe Ajagba vs Frank Sanchez (10 rounds), a rematch between Robert Helenius and Adam Kownacki and Jared Anderson against Vladimir Treshkin (eight rounds).

It's unclear whether the promoters will attempt to add to the fight's pulling power with additions to the undercard.

BoxingNews claim Top Rank needs to take some of their stars and "load up the undercard".

Conspiracy theories have been raging ever since news broke last week that Fury had contracted Covid-19.

Anthony Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said he knew Fury vs Wilder 3 would not happen. The Mathroom chief claimed ticket sales for the event were "disastrous" and had hit just 30%.

'Disastrous' ticket sales

"I just don't feel that a supposed megafight like that, and it's a big fight, just flicks the switch with seven or eight weeks to go and just says 'this is the day we're going'," Hearn told Dazn.

"When you know the business, there's too many issues. So, there was no broadcaster in the UK announced. You know he has a contract with BT? They never announced the fight.

"They sold no tickets. Basically, you could go online and check.

"I don't know whether it was 25% or 30% of the tickets have been sold but that's disastrous.

"There was no hype. This was going to do very, very poor pay per view numbers."

Latest Boxing Videos