Oscar De La Hoya plans Floyd Mayweather rematch ahead of 'biggest comeback in history'

Oscar De La Hoya is planning the "biggest comeback in the history of the sport" as he plots his return to action against Vitor Belfort.

Oscar De La Hoya believes the motivation is there for Floyd Mayweather to fight him again as he continues his startling comeback.

De La Hoya, 48, will return to the ring when he takes on UFC champion Vitor Belfort on September 11.

The match up is expected to take place at Las Vegas Raiders' Allegiant Stadium, near the famous Las Vegas Strip.

De La Hoya, who held 11 titles across six weight divisions, last fought in 2008. That was a defeat to Manny Pacquiao, but he confirmed his comeback earlier this year in what will be an exhibition against 44-year-old MMA star Belfort.

'The Golden Boy' has said he is feeling good ahead of a return to the ring and joked he has had 15 years to rest his left jab.

But De La Hoya, who finished his career at the 154 pound limit, will be up against a younger and bigger man in Belfort.

The Rio de Janeiro-born Belfort weighed in at 184 pounds for his last MMA fight in 2018 - a defeat to Lyoto Machida.

Belfort will weigh in at 190 pounds for the match of eight, two-minute rounds, while De La Hoya will hit the scales at 175 pounds, according to journalist Ariel Helwani.

"He's a big guy, man. I don't know what I got myself into, he's a big guy. So we'll see, I've got a good chin so I have to work the body, I have to use my speed and then be on my toes and stick the jab. I got a nice game plan for him, so we'll see," De La Hoya told FightHype.com.

'It's all about money for him'

De La Hoya insists his comeback will not be a one-off PR stunt. Instead the head of Golden Boy Promotions has his surprise comeback all mapped out.

That will ultimately lead to a showdown with Mayweather - 15 years after losing to the American in at the MGM Grand.

Asked whether a long-delayed rematch could happen, De La Hoya said: "I think so. I think it's all about money for him so why not?

"I think there's a lot of money for him to make in that fight. Yeah, I think so. Why not?...I beat him the first time, let's put it that way, so that's his motivation."

De La Hoya lost the Las Vegas fight with Mayweather on a split decision. At the time, it was the most lucrative fight in boxing history, generating more than $130million in revenue. 

He pressed throughout and did his best work with his his left jab. Mayweather though controlled the later rounds and the judges scored the fight 116-112, 115-113 for Mayweather, 115-113 for De La Hoya.

The 'biggest comeback'

De La Hoya, who holds American and Mexican citizenship, has his future planned, but says he will see how things go against Belfort.

"I want to see how my body feels after this first one, and then I want to get back into it in November. I'm not sure what day exactly but November was the one year anniversary of Triller, when Tyson fought...and then, who knows, challenge Anderson Silva who just beat Chavez Jr. And then in May, Cinco de Mayo, call out Floyd Mayweather," he told FightHype.

"Look, I've pretty much accomplished everything one has to accomplish in boxing. I want to make the biggest comeback in the history of the sport.

"I want to have these two fights with - I mean if I get past Belfort, which I'm a little, not scared but like 'oh, what did I get myself into' - but I have confidence, I'm gonna go in there and fight hard.

"And then go again in November...and maybe challenge Anderson Silva and then after that, if my body feels good and I'm feeling great, I'm not gonna take time off, I'm gonna continue training and challenge Floyd Mayweather Jr."

Latest Boxing Videos