Soccer
  • Home
  • Boxing
  • Ex UFC champion says Jake Paul should be ‘ashamed’ after shock Mike Tyson fight announcement

Ex UFC champion says Jake Paul should be ‘ashamed’ after shock Mike Tyson fight announcement

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping believes Jake Paul should be ‘ashamed’ after announcing his next opponent.

Paul recently improved his professional boxing record to 9-1 after knocking out Ryan Bourland in the first round in Puerto Rico.

On Thursday, the 27-year-old took social media by storm after confirming his next opponent would be legendary boxer Mike Tyson on July 20.

Confirming the news on X, Paul said: “Promotion promotion promotion if I’m being honest it don’t need that.. 

“The biggest fight of the 21st century, in the biggest NFL stadium in the US, broadcast live, on the biggest streaming platform in the world…that’s the MVP way. 

“Whether you’re tuning in on Netflix or showing out in person, whether you’re team Paul or team Tyson, or whether you’re a lifelong boxing fan or watching your first fight, you’re not going to want to miss this event. 

“I could not be more excited to make this amazing fight available to all Netflix subscribers alongside the hardest hitter of all time, Mike Tyson, on Saturday, July 20th. 

“My sights are set on becoming a world champion, and now I have a chance to prove myself against the greatest heavyweight champion of the world, the baddest man on the planet and the most dangerous boxer of all time.  Time to put Iron Mike to sleep.”

Tyson, who turns 58 in June, last stepped into the ring back in 2020 for an exhibition with Roy Jones Jr.

Iron Mike’s last competitive boxing bout took place back in 2005 when he lost in six rounds to Kevin McBride.

Paul has received plenty of backlash for the announcement, including criticism from Bisping.

Britain’s first UFC champion made his feelings clear on X, posting: “You should be ashamed of yourself. And the biggest joke is you don’t even slightly realize why.”

Paul has often received criticism for his choice of opponents. The YouTuber-turned boxer previously fought ex UFC legends such as Nate Diaz and Anderson Silva.

The 27-year-old has also boxed opponents with a smaller profile, including Andre August and, most recently, Ryan Bourland.

More Articles