Legendary promoter Don King lands rights to Daniel Dubois vs Trevor Bryan

Don King's comeback is in full-steam ahead mode after the legendary promoter secured the purse rights to Trevor Bryan's 'regular' heavyweight title fight with Daniel Dubois.

The fight went to purse bids via Zoom on Monday and Frank Warren's Queensbury promotions were outbid. Warren, the promoter of Tyson Fury, made an offer of $2,503,000, but his bid was dwarfed by an offer in excess of £3m.

Warren proposed to stage the fight in Derby on May 21 as the first option. He also proposed an alternative venue in the Midlands on June 11 and another scenario of June 18 in London.

However, the options were all immaterial because King lodged a bid of $3,116,001 to stage the 'regular' heavyweight title fight.

The 90-year-old King, who had been out of the promoting game for six years, now has 20 days to get the contracts signed by both parties. And he must pay a 10% deposit ($311,600) by the end of Tuesday, March 22 to secure the deal.

Under the purse bid guidelines, Bryan (22-0, 15 knockouts) would be entitled to 55 per cent of the purse money, or approximately $1,713,800. While the mandatory challenger Dubois (17-1, 16 KOs) will get 45 per cent, or $1,402,200, as per RingTV.

The fight is required to take place no later than July 28. That will be 180 days from the time of Bryan's voluntary title defence against Jonathan Guidry.

Bryan defeated Guidry in January via a split decision in Ohio. It was a pretty unimpressive victory against a man who had stepped in at a month's notice

Don King back in the game

The American was due to fight Mahmoud Charr but the German-based fighter was unable to meet the US visa requirements.

King has put forward a number of different options for the fight.

The fight date has been set for June 18 with venues in London, South Florida, and New York put forward.

It will be King's third promotion since taking a six-year break from 2015 to 2021.

And while King's return to the big time continues to be the main narrative, the match-up does threaten to deliver an interesting fight.

Experienced American Bryan failed to get Guidry out of there earlier this year, but he remains unbeaten and has an impressive 15 KOs on his record.

He defended his version of the WBA heavyweight title against former WBC champion Bermane Stiverne in January 2021.

Both men weighed in at 267 pounds, but the younger Bryan stopped his 42-year-old opponent in round 11 after knocking him down twice.

Bryan taunts Dubois

And he is confident he can get the better of the 24-year-old Dubois (17-1, 16 KOs).

"Don't worry, you'll be back down on your knees soon enough," Bryan wrote on Twitter, after Joe Joyce had reacted to a disrespectful Shane MgGuigan comment.

Bryan also taunted Dubois and said his "sister was a better fighter".

Dubois for his part has frecorded to quick, straight-forward wins since he was stopped by Joyce in November 2020. Dubois took a knee and was forced to quit after Joyce fractured his left eye socket.

In his two fights since then he has boxed for just five minutes and 40 seconds. He landed a sweet right-hand on the chin of Bogdan Dinu to get the job done in round two in June 2021.

Dubois then wasted no time in disposing of Joe Cusumano. He knocked the American down three times inside the first round to make an emphatic statement on his US debut in August.

Speaking to Boxing Social last week, Dubois said: "We live for this. This is what keeps me in the gym, motivated and focused to go out there and do something. I'm excited and quietly confident and ready to get it on. If the stoppage is there, I'll take it but a win by any means necessary."

Latest news