Daniel Dubois gets his summer shot at the heavyweight big time

Daniel Dubois is set to face American Trevor Bryan, who has been ordered to defend his WBA heavyweight title against the ambitious Brit this summer.

British hopeful Daniel Dubois will get a chance to send himself into the heavyweight stratosphere this summer when he gets a shot at the WBA world heavyweight title.

Dubois (15-1, 14KOs), who has bounced back with two knockout wins after losing to Joe Joyce in November 2020, is scheduled to fight 32-year-old New Yorker Trevor Bryan.

Bryan defended his WBA title against little-known Jonathan Guidry on Saturday night in Ohio.

Bryan had his fellow American on his knees in the final round but he could not get Guidry out of there and had to rely on the scorecards. And Bryan, who looked stronger in the later rounds, took the contest via a split decision victory to retain the WBA regular heavyweight championship.

Immediately after the fight, Dubois' promoter Frank Warren made an application to the WBA for Bryan (22-0, 15KOs) to be ordered to defend his title against the former British champion.

Warren has been busy of late after winning the purse bid for Tyson Fury's fight with Dillian Whyte.

The application was accepted by the WBA's Championships Committee Chairman Carlos Chavez, who issued a ruling that talks for a Bryan-Dubois fight take place within 180 days of the Bryan-Guidry fight.

That means that mandatory Dubois, who is now trained by Shane McGuigan, will get a shot at his American opponent by July 28 and probably in the UK.

Bryan is up for the contest after promising Warren: "I'm going to start my overseas tour against your homie boy over there."

Dubois was quick to acknowledge Bryan's victory before adding: "But you are in my way. See you soon."

Dubois: I can definitely knock him out

And the Greenwich man is confident he can continue his upward trajectory with a win over Bryan.

"I can definitely knock him out and everyone knows I only fight one way," he told Frank Warren TV.

Dubois suffered a setback when he was knocked out by domestic rival Joyce in 2020 at Westminster's Church House.

In what was a huge upset Dubois said he could not see after a "good jab" from Joyce. And he never recovered as he took a knee in round 10 and failed to beat the count.

He was criticised in the aftermath, with both David Haye and Carl Frampton accusing the Brit of "quitting".

But Dubois, who made his professional debut in 2017, bounced back with two straight-forward victories.

Firstly, he emphatically knocked out Romanian Bogdan Dinu in the second round in June last year. And then he disposed of Joe Cusumano on the Jake Paul vs Tyron Woodley undercard.

Dubois dropped Cusumano just over a minute into round one and a second knockdown came shortly after, before a third forced the referee to wave off the fight on Dubois' US debut.

Latest news