Alexander Povetkin was 'upset' by his crushing knockout defeat to Dillian Whyte, says promoter Andrey Ryabinskiy.
Whyte handed the veteran Russian his third career loss on Saturday in a one-sided affair. He caught Povetkin with a solid right before ending the contest with a perfectly-timed left hook in the fourth round.
The result kept Whyte's world title hopes alive following his stunning knockout loss in their first fight and he regained the WBC interim belt in the process.
For Povetkin, meanwhile, the loss could signal the end of an impressive career.
Speaking about Povetkin to Sky Sports, Ryabinskiy said: "Yes, we talked right after the fight. Sasha, of course, is upset that he couldn't beat Dillian.
"But it's sport, you need to be prepared for any outcome."
Whyte joined a decorated yet small list of fighters to have beaten 41-year-old Povetkin in his 40 fights.
Wladimir Klitschko beat the 'Russian Vityaz' in October 2013 via unanimous decision to defend his numerous world titles.
Whyte's rival Anthony Joshua overcame Povetkin in September 2018 with a seventh-round knockout.
Speaking about his fighter's potential retirement, Ryabinskiy continued: "In my opinion, now is the best time to end his career.
"Sasha has a 1-1 score with one of the best heavyweights in the world. I will try to persuade Sasha, but it's his decision to make.
"We will support him in any case."
Povetkin, affectionately named 'Sasha' in his home country, shocked the world with his victory over Whyte in August of last year.
He was knocked down twice in the fourth round but managed to find his feet and flatten his opponent with a stunning left hand in the following round. The punch left Whyte needing urgent medical attention.
Whyte's victory in the rematch reverses their respective standings, with the Briton now the one pursuing a world title shot. Povetkin's future in the sport is far less clear.