Contrary to rumours ahead of the launch of the VJM06, Force India have refused to name their second driver for 2013
The team took the covers off the new car at Silverstone on Friday with many wondering whether a second driver would be joining Paul di Resta for the event.
No one did and it was up to deputy team principal Bob Fernley to help the Scot lift the covers off the car.
Asked about the lack of announcement, Fernley said: “The shareholders are obviously thinking about where the drivers are going to be but our main objective today is to launch the car - and Paul is the key person for doing that. We don’t want to confuse the two stories.”
Pressed as to whether Jules Bianchi and Adrian Sutil were the favourites to partner di Resta, he said: “Jules is a significant candidate for what we’re doing, along with Adrian [Sutil] and a few others.”
He did, however, add that he expects to make an announcement ahead of the second pre-season outing at Barcelona.
As for his expectations this season, Fernley says Force India need a better start to the season in order to set them up for the rest of the campaign.
“We started off quite slowly last year and I’m hoping we don’t do that this year.
“If you take the second half of the season, we were the fifth best performing team and I’d like to think we start where we finished. It’s a difficult task to do but I’m sure we’re capable of doing it.”